Lechon Kawali Recipe
A Pinoy favorite, lechon kawali is a tenderized pork belly that's been deep-fried until the outside is browned to perfection and crispy. If you've always to know how the restaurants do it, this recipe shows you the trick to getting it perfectly every time.
- Rub sea salt generously on pork belly then cover it tightly with a cling wrap and store in the refrigerator for at least a day.
- Rinse pork in running water making sure all salt has been cleared from the meat.
- Place pork in a pressure cooker together with the soy sauce, garlic, peppercorns, laurel leaves and lemonade soda. Now pour enough water just to cover the entire meat.
- Pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes (Depending on the thickness of pork belly), your timing should start when the whistle starts to make sound.
- Once the pork is tender remove it from the pressure cooker and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Now once the surface of the pork is dried place it in a covered container and refrigerate it for at least 12 hours or until it is cold.
- Prepare a wok filled with oil and heat it up, once hot place the pork carefully while cold into the hot oil, skin side down, be really careful as it will splatter.
- Deep fry the pork until golden brown, this won’t take really long and remember you just want to make the outside crisp; the inner part is already cooked.
- Once cooked, slice into thin pieces and serve with the lechon sauce.