Thai Chicken Curry With Green Curry Paste
Thai Green Curry – delicious and easy green curry with chicken. Making green curry is so easy and takes only 20 min, and much cheaper than eating out.
Green curry is made with green curry paste. The main ingredient of green curry paste is cilantro root or cilantro stems (not the leaves) and fresh green chilies, hence the name green curry.
While you can always make Thai curry paste from scratch, I am using instant curry paste from Asian stores.
THAI CHICKEN CURRY WITH GREEN CURRY PASTE
If you are a Thai food lover, I am sure you love the different types of Thai curry, named after the color of the curry paste used to make the curry: red curry, yellow curry, and green.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tbsp green curry paste Mae Ploy brand preferred
- 8 oz chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz bamboo shoot
- 5 kaffir lime leaves lightly bruised
- 2 red chilies cut into thick strips
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar or palm sugar (preferred)
- 1/4 cup Thai basil leaves
- Heat up a pot over medium heat and add the oil. Saute the green curry paste until aromatic, add the chicken and stir to combine well with the curry paste. Add the coconut milk and water and bring it to a quick boil.
- Add the bamboo shoots, kaffir lime leaves, and red chilies. Lower the heat to simmer, cover the pot and let simmer for 10 minutes or until the curry slightly thickens.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar, and basil leaves. Stir to mix well. Turn off the heat and serve immediately with steamed rice.
Suggestion: For milder flavor, half portion of the curry paste should be used.