Long Horsemen should watch out and follow certain tips to make their ride comfy for themselves and their horse. Experts say that before embarking on a journey, check the health and condition of your horse. It must be well fed and exercised so it can travel undisturbed. It must be physically fit and mentally alert to offer you a safe and comfy ride. As a Long Horseman you need to follow these tips-
- Do not mount or tie yourself to a horse or saddle – One of the most significant fears you have as a Long Horseman is falling. To protect yourself from undesirable falls, you might consider strapping yourself into a horse saddle or seat. This is the biggest mistake you can make. If you fall, you must fall to the ground freely. If you tie yourself to a saddle or horse seat, you are more likely to get dragged and compound the fall with significant injury.
- Never let go of horse reins – Horse reins will help you control them. Don’t panic or throw control. This will confuse the horse and cause panic.
- Use proper footwear – Always wear proper footwear for the trip. Take a look at The Breeders Cup entrants and see the professional footwear they wear. Footwear shouldn’t slide through the stirrups. It must have a good grip.
- Train driving skills and coordination – Riding a horse doesn’t suggest you must sit there. This is a constant activity that requires skill and coordination.
- Listen to your coach – The trainer has years of experience in terms of riding. Listen to them for advice. They are professional Long Horse Riders who will offer you helpful tips.
- Match the right horse – Your coach will help you here. The rider and horse must match to be a successful combination.
- Don’t hold the saddle – The saddle helps you keep your balance while riding, but it doesn’t suggest you are holding it for support during the ride.
- Never miss a helmet – Always wear a helmet when you ride a horse. You never know when you’ll fall. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- Learning through experience – Each trip will be your first and gather experience from previous trips to get better in skills and coordination.
- Wear the right clothes – last but not least wear comfy and loose clothing for the trip. This gives you ease of movement and helps you focus more on your journey. Always buy the right riding suit for the season.
Therefore, with the above tips, you can effectively excel as a Long Horseman. The above does take time and practice to learn. Once you master the skills, the experience becomes rich and thrilling every time you travel!
Author: Silvia Watson